ICMPD's Brussels Mission was set up as a permanent structure in 2007 and a seat agreement with the Belgian authorities was signed in May 2008. It closely cooperates with the relevant departments at HQ (Southern and Eastern Dimension Departments) in order to maintain thematic coherence and leadership. With 15 permanent staff members, the Brussels Mission ensures three core functions within ICMPD:
1) coordination and liaison with EU Institutions, ICMPD and EU Member States representations, diplomatic missions and other organisations or institutions relevant for the ICMPD's work.
2) management of several capacity building projects and migration dialogues, requiring daily contact with EU institutions:
- The programme Migration EU Expertise II (MIEUX II) provides third countries with short-term capacity building through mainly EU MS experts and on a demand-driven basis.
- The support project for the Rabat Process facilitates this long-standing migration dialogue along the West and Central African migratory routes together with the Spanish partner organisation FIIAPP.
- The support project for the EU-Africa Partnership on Migration, Mobility and Employment (MME) provides an open framework for consultations on a flexible thematic and geographic basis, strengthening the leadership of the key stakeholders and facilitating the exchange of information and good practices. The project is being implemented together with the Spanish partner organisation FIIAPP and UNIDEP based in Dakar.
- The project 'External Thematic Expertise on Migration III' (ETEM III) supported the European Commission Directorate General DEVCO in carrying out training for EC staff on migration issues, as well as in drafting guidance documents for EC staff, especially in EU Delegations in the field.
- The EU-funded EUROMED Migration III Programme aims to foster cooperation on migratory issues between the ENPI South partner countries and EU countries, as well as among ENPI South partner countries themselves. In addition, it assists partner countries in their efforts to govern international migration.
- ICMPD is part of a consortium of migrant organisations which aim at setting up an African Diaspora Platform in Europe.
- The Mobility Partnership Facility (MPF) is an EU-funded initiative, implemented by ICMPD, contributing to the operationalisation of the Global Approach to Migration and Mobility (GAMM).
3) contribution to the policy debate on migration issues at the European level through the organisation of events such as expert roundtables, policy breakfasts and targeted conferences.