Study on Typology and Policy Responses to Child Begging in the EU
Objective: This project collected and analysed information on the extent of child begging and its prevalence among certain groups and in certain areas of European cities in 13 EU Member States (Austria, Bulgaria, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom) and two Non-EU Member States (Albania and Kosovo). More detailed information about the project can be found on the Research Unit's website.
Implementing Agency: ICMPD
Donor: European Union (European Commission DG Home)
Duration: January 2011–December 2012
Study on the Assessment of the Extent of Different Types of Trafficking (Sexual Exploitation, Labour Exploitation, Organs etc.) in EU countries
Objective: This project elaborated appropriate background information and assessed the extent of different forms of trafficking in human beings in 17 EU Member States (Austria, Bulgaria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden and United Kingdom).
Summary: Action against trafficking in human beings has become an important issue on the political agenda of the European Union and its Member States during the last decade. The design of effective measures (those that aim to foster prevention, protect victims and prosecute traffickers) has been commonly agreed to be built on appropriate legal and regulatory framework, research, data collection and information management. The lack of systematically collected and managed statistical data relevant to trafficking in human beings is one of the main obstacles to the successful and effective implementation of anti-trafficking policies and efforts. The project had the following outcomes:
- comprehensive overview of national data on THB in the 17 EU countries
- comprehensive overview of national legislation on THB and related areas in the 17 EU countries
- comparative analysis of assessed extent of different types of THB in the 17 EU countries
- 17 country reports on national legislation, national statistics and assessments of national developments in regard to the extent of THB in the 17 countries
- minimum and maximum scenarios on the total (17 countries) extent of different types of THB following the legal and administrative distinctions between victims and perpetrators but also between cases and persons.
More detailed information about the project can be found on the Research Unit's website.
Publication: ICMPD (2010): Study on the Assessment of the Extent of Different Types of THB in EU Countries. Download (EN, 5 MB)Implementing Agency: ICMPD
Donor: European Commission (DG JLS)
Duration: October 2008–November 2009