Media & Events
During the final phase, the research was presented and discussed at various relevant events in the Middle East, Turkey and Europe, and was featured in a number of media articles.
News articles and interviews:
News articles and interviews:
- 6 January 2016. Andrés Mourenza - “El dilema turco ante el peso de más de dos millones de refugiados” in El País (Spain). The translation from Spanish: “The Turkish dilemma in the face of the burden of more than two million refugees” cites the Targeting Vulnerabilities study.
- 14 January 2016. Lauren Williams – “Syrian refugee children used as cheap labour by Turkish employers” on ABC News (Australia). This article features contributions from Dr. Claire Healy.
- 15 January 2016. “Ohne Ausbeutung können syrische Flüchtlingen nicht überleben“ on SRF4 radio (Switzerland). This is an interview in German: “Without exploitation, Syrian refugees cannot survive” with Dr. Claire Healy about the Targeting Vulnerabilities study.
- 18 January 2016. “Amnesty: Flucht nach Europa fur Frauen sexueller Spiessrutenlauf” in Die Presse (Austria). The translation from German: “Amnesty: Fleeing to Europe is a sexual obstacle course for women” features contributions from Dr. Claire Healy.
- 19 January 2016: “Krieg, Flucht und Menschenhandel“ on Echo der Zeit program, SRF radio (Switzerland). This is a discussion in German: “War, Refuge and Human Trafficking” with Dr. Claire Healy about the Targeting Vulnerabilities study.
- 10 March 2016. Claire Healy – “Has the conflict in Syria increased human trafficking?” in Vienna Institute for International Dialogue and Cooperation (VIDC) Newsletter 36/2016.
- 18 October 2014. “Chaos Next Door – Trafficking and the Syrian War: 18 October is EU Anti-Trafficking Day”.
- 6 July 2015. Claire Healy – “Desperation leaves Syrian refugees open to exploitation”.
- 7 October 2015. Elisa Trossero, Claire Healy & William Huddleston – “Journeys of vulnerability from Syria to Europe”.
- 9 December 2015. “Lack of “viable alternatives” leads to exploitation of Syrians”.
- 14 January 2016. “New Research: How are the war in Syria and the refugee crisis affecting human trafficking?”
- January 2016. ICMPD newsletter - In the spotlight: The impact of the Syrian war and refugee situation on the region.
- Slideshare Presentation - "Methodology, Findings and Recommendations of Targeting Vulnerabilities"
- 7 July 2015. Claire Healy – “Forced Migration and Trafficking in the Context of the Conflict in Syria.” Speech given at the 15th OSCE Alliance against Trafficking in Persons conference: “People at Risk: combating human trafficking along migration routes” in Vienna, Austria.
- 14 October 2015. Claire Healy – “Trafficking in Persons in the Context of the Syria Conflict. Presentation at the Together against Human Trafficking conference for the European Union Day on Combating Trafficking in Human Beings. Organised by the Human Trafficking Task Force (Austrian Federal Government, coordinated by the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration, and Foreign Affairs) in Vienna, Austria.
- 18 November 2015. Claire Healy – “Targeting Vulnerabilities”. Presentation at the Central European Network Conference at the UK Embassy, Vienna, Austria.
- 29-30 November. Vanessa Iaria (AIS-TIP Country Researcher for Jordan and Syria). Presented findings at the Expert Group Meeting on the impact of armed conflict on people’s vulnerability to TIP including sexual and labour exploitation, organized by Ms. Maria Grazia Giammarinaro, United Nations Special Rapporteur on TIP, especially women and children in Amman, Jordan.
- 29 February 2016. Elisa Trossero – “Targeting Vulnerabilities”. Presentation at the Council of the Baltic Sea States (CBSS), TRACE project Workshop on Policy implications of future trends in trafficking” in Stockholm, Sweden.
- 15 March 2016. Claire Healy – “Targeting Vulnerabilities”. Presentation at the Migrants in Countries in Crisis (MICIC) Consultation for the MENA Region in Valletta, Malta.
- 7-8 April 2016. Elena Petreska – “Targeting Vulnerabilities: The Impact of the Syrian War and Refugee Situation on Trafficking in Persons”. Presentation of the study at the international conference "Migration Challenges in Southeast Europe" in Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria.
- 14-15 April 2016. Melita Gruevska-Graham – “Targeting Vulnerabilities”. Presentation at the European Commission (DG Home) Eastern Partnership Panel on Migration and Asylum meeting in Chisinau, Moldova.
- 17 June 2016. Claire Healy - Speech on Targeting Vulnerabilities during panel on “How Policy Discourses and Approaches to Migration Feed Human Trafficking & Exploitation and Put Victims at Risk” at Regional Initiative on Trafficking International Round Table on the Impact of the Current Immigration/ Asylum/ Refugee Debate & Action on Human Trafficking & Exploitation in Vienna, Austria.
- 22 June 2016. Claire Healy – “"Displacement, Migration and Human Trafficking in the Context of the Syrian Conflict". Presentation at the OSCE Human Dimension Committee hosted by the Finnish Embassy in Vienna Austria.