ICMPD delivers policy analysis and advice to equip our member states and partners with innovative and effective policy inputs aimed at addressing the migration-related opportunities in, and challenges now confronting, Europe, emerging along key migration routes and affecting the vital regions in which we work. Our aim is to provide platforms for dialogue, consultation and exchange on important policy issues: to engage, convene and connect key groups of thought leaders and decision-makers to develop ideas and initiatives that can help move the migration policy debate, and shape governance frameworks and operations in productive, meaningful and pioneering directions.
Drawing on and valorising the policy relevant know-how and results of the organisation’s work in research, migration dialogues and capacity building, makes us responsive, accurate and able to advise on issues that matter. In our daily work, we analyse and write about migration policies and engage in policy discussions on topics that mirror current priorities for our member states and strategic partners.
Recent Policy Publications
- Briefing note - Creative approaches to boosting the employment of displaced Ukrainians in Central and Eastern Europe [September 2023]
- Policy brief - Local networking for the integration of forced migrants: Key insights from the TRAFIG project [September 2023]
- Policy brief - Germany’s Western Balkans Regulation: Inspiration for facilitating refugee labour mobility? [July 2023]
- Discussion paper - Responding to displacement from Ukraine: Options to remain when EU temporary protection ends [July 2023]
- Policy brief - Tapping displaced talent: Policy options for EU complementary pathways [May 2023]
- Mapping - Complementary labour and education pathways for people in need of protection [March 2023]
- Discussion paper - Responding to displacement from Ukraine: Past, present and future policies [March 2023]
- SPRING policy brief - Sustainable migrant integration: The role of Communities of Practice [February 2023]
- Blog article - Supporting refugee integration and mental health [Resettlement Plus, January 2023]
- Policy brief - The role of information campaigns in addressing irregular migration [July 2022]
- Policy brief - Student working holidays as a step towards youth mobility [July 2022]
- TRAFIG policy brief - Creating a way out of the maze: Supporting sustainable futures for displaced persons [June 2022]
- Blog article - Non-EU Pathways to Protection for Ukrainians: Complementary Pathways Gain Significant Momentum [Migration Policy Centre, May 2022]
- Policy handbook - Strengthening policy responses to protracted displacement [April 2022]
Annual Policy Initiative
The Annual Policy Initiative (API) is ICMPD’s main framework for contributing to current EU migration policy reform debates, with a focus on detangling issues, identifying problems, and proposing solutions. It draws on analysis, engagement, and consultations to move the EU migration agenda forward through a range of outputs, ranging from stakeholder meetings and webinars to commentaries and targeted policy recommendations.
The API is driven by ICMPD’s Policy Unit and leverages internal expertise, research, and analysis, as well as experience from our operational work. It provides a platform for discussion and exchange among senior experts and stakeholders in member and close partner states, EU institutions, think tanks, and other key actors. In 2023 we are monitoring the implementation of temporary protection schemes, exploring exit strategies from temporary protection, and developing recommendations for EU policy on a range of other top questions.
For more information on respective years, please follow the links below: