ICMPD delivers policy analysis and advice to equip our member states and partners with innovative and effective policy inputs aimed at addressing the migration-related opportunities in, and challenges now confronting, Europe, emerging along key migration routes and affecting the vital regions in which we work. Our aim is to provide platforms for dialogue, consultation and exchange on important policy issues: to engage, convene and connect key groups of thought leaders and decision-makers to develop ideas and initiatives that can help move the migration policy debate, and shape governance frameworks and operations in productive, meaningful and pioneering directions.
Drawing on and valorising the policy relevant know-how and results of the organisation’s work in research, migration dialogues and capacity building, makes us responsive, accurate and able to advise on issues that matter. In our daily work, we try to make sense of migration. We analyse and write about migration policies and engage in policy discussions on topics that mirror current priorities for our member states and strategic partners.
Recent Policy Publications
- Discussion Paper - Responding to displacement from Ukraine: Past, present and future policies 
- SPRING Policy Brief - Sustainable migrant integration: The role of Communities of Practice 
- Blog article - Supporting refugee integration and mental health [Resettlement Plus, 2023]
- Policy Brief - The role of information campaigns in addressing irregular migration 
- Policy Brief - Student working holidays as a step towards youth mobility 
- TRAFIG Policy Brief - Creating a way out of the maze: Supporting sustainable futures for displaced persons 
- Blog article - Non-EU Pathways to Protection for Ukrainians: Complementary Pathways Gain Significant Momentum [Migration Policy Centre, 2022]
- Policy handbook - Strengthening policy responses to protracted displacement 
- Policy Brief - People First – New Solutions to the Challenge of Displacement [Global Solutions Initiative, 2022]
- Policy Brief - Moving on: How easing mobility restrictions within Europe can help forced migrants rebuild their lives 
- Policy Brief - Outward and upward mobility: How Afghan and Syrian refugees can use mobility to improve their prospects 
- Policy Brief - Leveraging migration information campaigns for state and migrant security 
- Policy Brief - Networks and mobility: A case for complementary pathways 
Annual Policy Initiative
The Annual Policy Initiative (API) is ICMPD’s main framework for contributing to current EU migration policy reform debates, with a focus on detangling issues, identifying problems, and proposing solutions. It draws on analysis, engagement, and consultations to move the EU migration agenda forward through a range of outputs, ranging from stakeholder meetings and webinars to commentaries and targeted policy recommendations.
The API is driven by ICMPD’s Policy Unit and leverages internal expertise, research, and analysis, as well as experience from our operational work. It provides a platform for discussion and exchange among senior experts and stakeholders in member and close partner states, EU institutions, think tanks, and other key actors. In 2023 we are monitoring the implementation of temporary protection schemes, exploring exit strategies from temporary protection, and developing recommendations for EU policy on a range of other top questions.
For more information on respective years, please follow the links below: