ICMPD delivers policy analysis and advice to equip our member states and partners with innovative and effective policy inputs aimed at addressing the migration-related opportunities in, and challenges now confronting, Europe, emerging along key migration routes and affecting the vital regions in which we work. Our aim is to provide platforms for dialogue, consultation and exchange on important policy issues: to engage, convene and connect key groups of thought leaders and decision-makers to develop ideas and initiatives that can help move the migration policy debate, and shape governance frameworks and operations in productive, meaningful and pioneering directions.
Drawing on and valorising the policy relevant know-how and results of the organisation’s work in research, migration dialogues and capacity building, makes us responsive, accurate and able to advise on issues that matter. In our daily work, we try to make sense of migration. We analyse and write about migration policies and engage in policy discussions on topics that mirror current priorities for our member states and strategic partners.
Recent Policy Publications
- Blog article - Non-EU Pathways to Protection for Ukrainians: Complementary Pathways Gain Significant Momentum [MPC]
- Policy handbook - Strengthening policy responses to protracted displacement
- Blog article - Forced displacement in 2021: much to commemorate, little to celebrate [OECD]
- Policy Brief - People First – New Solutions to the Challenge of Displacement [Global Solutions Initiative]
- Policy Brief - Moving on: How easing mobility restrictions within Europe can help forced migrants rebuild their lives
- Policy Brief - Outward and upward mobility: How Afghan and Syrian refugees can use mobility to improve their prospects
- Policy Brief - Leveraging migration information campaigns for state and migrant security
- Policy Brief - Networks and mobility: A case for complementary pathways
- Policy Brief - Starting up and starting over: How networking can enable refugee entrepreneurs to regain livelihoods in East Africa
- Policy Brief - Youth work and cross-sectoral cooperation as sources of innovation
- Policy Brief - Supporting policy development in a multilevel governance setting: Lessons learnt from the Austrian youth sector
- Guide - Attracting international talent to Lithuania: International Best Practices and Approaches
Annual Policy Initiative
Each year ICMPD selects a theme for its Annual Policy Initiative (API) that addresses a key issue in the current migration debate in order to identify pragmatic ways forward at both the policy and operational levels. The purpose is to contribute with analysis and facilitate policy and strategic discussions on the selected theme.
The API is driven by ICMPD’s Policy Unit and draws on internal expertise, research, analysis and experiences from our operations. It aims to provide a platform for discussion and exchange among senior experts and stakeholders in member and close partner states, EU institutions, think tanks and other relevant organisations. This consultation process, anchored in a wide-ranging assessment of priorities, will incorporate and feed into discussions at the Vienna Migration Conference, held each year in autumn, and result in written policy recommendations.
For more information on respective years, please follow the links below: