ICMPD has a long-standing cooperation with Ukraine dating back to 1995. Numerous joint projects were implemented, cooperation is ongoing on multilateral and bilateral levels and in 2021 the ICMPD Kyiv Office was established. ICMPD is thus closely monitoring the developments in Ukraine. Due to the security situation, the ICMPD office has been temporarily closed. The project teams continue their work from other duty stations whenever possible. Below, we are gathering our policy, research, and capacity-building activities to reflect ICMPD's ongoing engagement in Ukraine.
The Regional Office for Eastern Europe and Central Asia
The Regional Office for Eastern Europe and Central Asia (RO EECA) of the ICMPD was established in April 2017 and is located in Vienna, Austria. RO EECA works with over ten countries in the region and implements various projects on the ground through its offices in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Ukraine.
The main focus areas and portfolio topics of the RO in the EE&CA are the following: Diaspora engagement, Return and Reintegration, Legal and Labour Migration, Education on Migration, Analytical Capacities and Research on migration, Migration Policy Recommendations and Support, Capacity building in different migration areas, Border Management and Security, Media and Migration, Visa dialogue and Consular Affairs, etc. Overall, RO EECA team is working on sustaining and further enhancing the established cooperation in the area of migration so that to enhance security, stability, and sustainable development both in the region and worldwide.
Ongoing projects in the EECA region:
- BOMCA 10 (Border Management Programme in Central Asia)
- CareFor (Capacity for a Rights-Based Reception System for Moldova)
- EU4IBM-Resilience (EU Support to Strengthening Integrated Border Management in Ukraine)
- EU4IMPACT (Increasing Migrants’ Potential to Act for the Development of Armenia)
- ERRIN Armenia
- MOBILAZE 2 (Support to the Implementation of the Mobility Partnership with Azerbaijan)
- MRC Tajikistan
- TAC (Construction of a New Temporary Accommodation Centre for Asylum Seekers)
- RRR – MFA/SMS (Resilience, Reinforcement and Recovery of Ukrainian Migration and Consular Services)
- SCOP (Support to the Complex Improvement of Migration and Border Management in Moldova)
- STREAMinG (Strengthening Development Impact of Migration in Georgia)
- The Prague Process - multilateral migration dialogue and a policy process promoting migration partnerships among the countries of the European Union, Schengen Area, Eastern Partnership, Western Balkans, Central Asia, Russia and Turkey.