Internships at ICMPD provide an opportunity for students and recent graduates to obtain hands-on experience working in an international setting, and across a broad range of thematic areas.
As an international organisation, we believe that it is vital to invest directly in developing the skills and knowledge of future experts in the field of migration.
To that end, we welcome applications from those pursuing (or having recently obtained) an undergraduate or post-graduate degree, or additionally from young professionals looking to switch careers. ICMPD has also worked with a number of academic institutions to provide Erasmus-based internships and work experience during the course of study.
Please see below for all internships currently available with ICMPD. Should you wish to apply, please follow the instructions detailed in the vacancy.
Posting Date: 11/11/2022
Deadline for Applications: N/A
Duty Station: Istanbul / Ankara, Türkiye
Start Date: Negotiable
Contract Duration: 4 Months (plus a possible 2 month extension)
ICMPD is inviting all interested candidates to apply for the internship for the several projects in Ankara and Istanbul.
The ICMPD research internship offers students and recent graduates to obtain a first-hand experience of international comparative research on migration with a strong policy orientation but firm academic grounding. Interns will have the opportunity to participate in project activities implemented by the Western Balkans and Türkiye teams.
In terms of themes covered by the Internship, the involvement in various project activities will strengthen interns’ understanding of various migration topics: irregular migration, legal migration and integration, migration and development, and international protection and asylum, as well as of the roles and responsibilities of different actors involved in migration and how they interact and jointly contribute to migration governance. In line with ICMPD’s internship policy, the internship lasts 3 months.
In regard to research skills, research internship will comprise involvement in various types of research, offering the opportunity to familiarize and develop specific research skills, including desk research and quantitative data analysis (as specifically agreed with the intern).
Following previous survey waves the project FIMAS+Women constitutes the fifth wave of the FIMAS longitudinal study on integration trajectories of refugees in Austria. The aim of the FIMAS project series is to follow and study integration processes of refugees and beneficiaries of subsidiary protection. The particular focus of the project FIMAS+Women is to examine the situation of refugee women with regard to their chances of labour market integration.
The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) is an international organisation tasked with promoting innovative, comprehensive and sustainable migration policies. With 19 Member States and over 70 projects active throughout Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, ICMPD is a growing and ever-more relevant presence in its field. The organisation’s greatest assets are its 400 staff members, who personify its values of commitment, integrity, partnership, respect, and innovation in actions and decisions.
The MDC Directorate takes a leading role in the development and implementation of technical assistance and capacity development projects. It contributes to strengthening international cooperation and partnerships by coordinating ICMPD’s secretariat activities for numerous migration dialogues.
The MDC Directorate brings together all ICMPD-supported migration dialogue secretariats, the Regional Offices (RO) namely West Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, the Mediterranean, the Silk Routes and Western Balkans and Turkey and thematic programmes, Anti Trafficking as well as Border Management and Security.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support the project team in the implementation of project activities in accordance with the work plan;
- Support to editing and formatting of documents and assist with administrative duties including correspondence to internal and external partners, photocopies etc;
- Support the project team in organizing meetings and make travel related arrangements;
- Support to preparation of summaries, graphs and presentations in support to various project activities;
- Support to maintainenance of documents according to the project filing system;
- Provide administrative support to implementation of project communication activities;
- Support to procurement processes according to ICMPD rules and procedures;
- Assist the project team with any other task as necessary.
- Develop the ability to undertake small assignments independently;
- Understand the dynamics of operational and project support;
- Increased understanding of the ICMPD and the project implementation within ICMPD;
- Write and formulate substantive documents;
- Familiarise project design and delivery mechanisms;
- Network with ICMPD colleagues.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree
- Fluency in Turkish and English
- Basic understanding of project administration and implementation of projects
- Currently enrolled in a postgraduate course or a recent graduate
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer proficiency in standard office software (word, excel, etc.)
ICMPD offers a monthly fee of EUR 300,00 and will provide accident insurance for the duration of the internship. However, travel expenses will not be reimbursed and Health insurance is the responsibility of the incumbent.
The internship does not constitute a commitment to future employment with ICMPD.
PLEASE NOTE: An intern is not a staff member of ICMPD. An intern who is a non-citizen of the country in which the duty station is situated is responsible for obtaining any necessary visas and for complying with local laws regarding registration with the local authorities.
Interested candidates are requested to email their application in English to icmpdinternshipTR@icmpd.org by midnight (CET) of the closing date specified above.
All applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated above. Applications received after the published deadline, will not be considered.
Due to the high volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted and applicants are expected to be available for a personal/telephone interview.
Please note that only Turkish nationals are eligible for this internship.